Wednesday 5 March 2014

Mizuno Harrier 3 Review

Mizuno Wave Harrier Review

Mizuno makes fine golf clubs. Well-crafted and they are a technological delight to hold.
Mizuno Wave Harrier 3 review
Accurate and responsive. Since starting out in 1906 Mizuno is one of those companies that churned out varied and quality products across several sporting lines. Mizuno Running is one of those Marmite companies. You either love their shoes or hate them.

I first took notice of them after an ultra-running friend had just won a gruelling 160km race through the wild virgin forests of Northern Greece. He swore by them and there is no better place to test the shoes. I ordered a pair.

When they arrived, they looked like one of the designers of the Subaru Legacy in the late 90s had been given a second chance at redemption at Mizuno. They didn't look flashy, just unmistakably rugged, and instantly forgettable. Of course to round off the package there is a strange Anime fetish look with bits of silver rubber and plastic glued here and there. Right now I bet you are googling ‘Subaru Legacy’.

Look for a review of the Harrier and you will always come across this phrase "Light, low-profile, fast".  Not even Mizuno have terribly much to say about the Harrier. Just that they adapt to the environment. No other shoe maker I think is even vaguely comfortable about making that kid of claim. The shoes do feel relatively light given their bulk. Weigh them and they come in at about 348 grams for a UK 12. So not very light them. That there is a good deal of protection is obvious from the outset. There is even a little bumper attached to the front to provide toe protection. What I didn't like was that when I flexed the shoe it sounded as though the upper had a crinkly plastic bag sewn in there somewhere. Mizuno do explain that a lot of technology has gone into developing this shoe, such as AIRMesh, X10 Carbon Technology, WetTraction and SmoothRide. All you really need to know is that they are all parts of the shoe and also probably used to describe parts in a Subaru carplant. 


The outsole

Mizuno Wave Harrier 3 review
The shoe is touted as a low profile fast shoe but with a 8/20mm drop it is at best a beefy low profile one at that. Otherwise there is very good mid-foot flexibility and it does promotes a comfortable mid to forefoot strike with plenty of protection. If you are looking for a solid, neutral running shoe that is essentially based on a road shoe with a lot more rubber underneath then look no further. 

The grip in the dry was excellent and the tread seemed to grip the ground well.  When I ran in the wet, it was a different story. The rubber did not do well in the wet and unfortunately I only realized this after I was lying slightly confused amongst some bushes after slipping on a section of flat rock. Wet rocks and roots felt as slippery as glass. Muddy and packed trails however were not a problem and they felt stable and reliable. The outsole is very tough and they do provide reassuring protection. 


The Upper

You get the feeling that the upper is cheaply made. Perhaps I could not move past the recycled plastic bag sound. Slide your hand inside the shoe and you will feel ridges and seams. Unlike with ino8, the MT110s, Nike Terra Kigers where you would feel confident to experiment going sockless, not so with the Harriers. On the flat I had no problems with the upper, but as soon as I ran anywhere with a steep gradient the upper would bunch and bite into my foot. The upper is very breathable and did well in the dry hot heat of summer.

review, mizuno wave harrier 3
More than a blister. Result of a seam cutting into my foot during a 15km trail run. 

Mizuno Wave Harrier 3 review
So incensed was I that I decided to send a photograph of the inside of the upper to Mizuno.
They were not particularly interested. But you can see the ridges and untidy stitching. 


What I liked

  • The longevity of the outsole. In dry and muddy or easy packed conditions they are stable and secure. Mizuno are right about the X10 carbon technology, it is incredibly durable. 


What I did not like

  • Despite the WetTraction technology, they are definitely very slippery on wet rock and roots. WetTeflon. 
  • The upper. There is a lot of room in the forefoot which is nice, but it does bunch up when you tackle steep stuff. That concentration of materials (and plastic bag) chafes and I did not feel it held my foot well, at least compared to some other trail models out there. 
As such I never tested the shoes on anything longer than a 20km run. I have run over 800 kilometres in them in total and the soles have little wear and tear to show for it. The upper is beginning to disintegrate now and the little toe bumpers are peeling away from the upper. Despite their rugged longevity, they were never my ‘go to’ shoe. Some people love, them. I love to hate them but I still have them and they'll probably knock about in the back of my cupboard for several more years. If there ever is a nuclear fallout, all that will remain of our civilisation will be cockroaches and Mizuno Wave Harrier 3 (and 2) soles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment